Hãy làm cho bài speaking của bạn trở nên “mặn mòi” hơn bằng một số Phrasal verbs thông dụng sau đây nhé!
- ask somebody out: invite somebody on a date – mời ai đó đi hẹn hò
He asked her out to dinner and a movie.
- ask around: ask many people the same question – hỏi mọi người về cùng một thứ
I asked around but nobody has seen my wallet.
- add up to something: equal – tương đương
Your purchases add up to $205.32.
- back something up: reverse – quay ngược, đảo chiều
You’ll have to back up your car so that I can get out.
- back somebody up: support – hỗ trợ
My wife backed me up over my decision to quit my job.
- blow up: explode – phát nổ
The racing car blew up after it crashed into the fence.
- blow something up: add air – bơm, thổi phồng
We have to blow 50 balloons up for the party.
- break down: stop functioning (vehicle, machine) – ngừng hoạt động (máy móc, xe cộ)
Our car broke down at the side of the highway in the snowstorm.
- break down: get upset – cảm thấy suy sụp
The woman broke down when the police told her that her son had died.
- break something down: divide into smaller parts – phân tách thứ gì đó thành nhiều phần nhỏ
Our teacher broke the final project down into three separate parts.
- break in: force entry to a buidling – đột nhập vào nhà
Somebody broke in last night and stole our stereo.
- break into something: enter forcibly (xông vào)
The firemen had to break into the room to rescue the children.
- break something in: wear something a few times so that it doesn’t look/ feel new – mặc một thứ gì đó nhiều lần khiến nó không còn mới nữa
The new shoes is so tight that they hurt my feet. I need to break these shoes in before we run next week.
- break in: interupt – can thiệp, làm gián đoạn
The TV station broke in to report the news of the celebrity’s death.
- break up: end a relationship – chia tay, chấm dứt mối quan hệ
My boyfriend and I broke up before I moved to America.
- break up: start laughing (informal) – cười lớn, cười nắc nẻ
The kids just broke up as soon as the clown started talking.
- break out: escape – tẩu thoát
The prisoners broke out of jail when the guards weren’t looking.
- break out in something: develop a skin condition – nổi mẩn, gặp phải vấn đề về da
I broke out in a rash after eating shrimps.
- bring somebody down: make somebody unhappy – khiến ai đó cảm thấy buồn
This sad music is bringing me down.
- bring somebody up: raise a child – nuôi dưỡng trẻ con
My grandparents brought me up after my parents died.